Set of 3 Semi-Circle Drape Forms featuring a straight edge and rounded base finish.
No pottery wheel needed to use these forms. Designed so you can hand-build semi-circle shaped dishes from a slab of clay. Keep your dishes classic with a simple glaze. Or have some fun making dishes in the shape of lemon wedges, pizza slices, and rainbows. You could even paint them to look like a smile or a half-moon! The possibilities are endless.
This set includes 3 x Semi-Circle shaped Drape Forms in the following sizes:
9.5 Inches (241mm)
8 Inches (203mm)
6.5 Inches (165mm)
You may wish to add-on one of our Pottery Drape Form Starter Kits - It includes rolling pin guides, a workboard, and a selection of 3 small drape forms, and our rising star.
One fun way of using our drape forms is with a pad of medium-density upholstery foam (which you can buy online for around £10 online). Here's a quick video showing you 'How to use Hartley & Noble Drape Forms'. If you don't have any foam, don't worry... just skip the foam, and take a look at the guidance below.
- Wedge a tennis ball size piece of clay.
- Put your rolling pin guides on top of your workboard, and roll your clay in to a 1/4 inch thick and even slab.
- Take a soft silicone pottery rib and gently smooth your clay in one sweeping motion to get rid of any bubbles or marks.
- Put your drape form on top of the clay.
- Cut around your drape form (leaving a 1/2 inch or so excess around the drape).
- Gently flip the clay and the form over (so that the clay is now facing you).
- Put the form on one of your Rising Stars to lift it off your bench while you work on it.
- Gently press the clay all around on to the form, and then take your silicone rib and smooth the clay down. Then smooth the clay in an upwards direction (compress that clay!)
- Take a needle tool and trim around the form to create what will be the rim of your dish. Neaten up your rim.
- A small form like this should be left to dry for up to a couple of hours. Keep the Rising Star underneath to stop it from being damaged. Time taken to dry varies on climate and other factors. Do not let your clay dry completely or it will crack. Check on it every hour or so. When it is ready to be removed it will easily release from the form.
How to look after these drape forms;
These forms are manufactured from our economy MDF material so please do not submerge in water as this can cause swelling and warping.
To clean just wipe with a damp sponge to remove any clay.
Do not use metal scourers or screwdrivers on these forms as this can cause damage to your form.
Brand:Hartley & Noble